Saturday, February 14, 2009

The good, bad, and ugly

This post may not be suitable for the squeamish!!! The Ukrainian bath rooms. In ukraine most things are kept as clean as possible and this is true for most bath rooms as well. But they can be different than what I am used to. As far as the good their are toilets similar to the ones in th US, but they are a little different. Some of the toilets have a half flush feature and some times that is all you need and then you use full flush when needed. The toilets are not a bowl of water like the ones in the US this eliminates splashing which can be nice. So it depends on were the "drain" is if it is in front it creates a viewing platform to evaluate your fiber intake before you flush it off into the drain. If the drain is in the rear who knows? As far as the toilet paper and what to do I am still not sure but I am following the advise of our drive in Kiev. He said he never understood this wastebasket thing and who knows what you do with your toilet paper any way. We were told by him before our train trip about a family who went to the bathroom every time the train stopped at a station and it was closed. The train toilet flushes and dumps the waste out side the train so you don't want to dump it at the station were people are. Most public restrooms are pay they have an attendant that collects the money. At the fun park we were at you purchase a card and put money on it for the rides and arcade games you also use this card to enter the restrooms. Their is a restraint in the town we are staying in that is said to be the best in town, we eat their often. The other day I had been petting stray dogs that were very dirty prior to going to lunch when we arrived at the restaurant I thought it may be wise to wash my hand, our interpreter was on the phone but I felt I could handle this on my own so I asked the guy at the bar were the toilet was in russian they took me outside and hand signaled to go around back, at this point I did not know how to say I just wanted to wash my hands and I had a feeling I couldn't were I was going. Sure enough it was an out house it had a tile floor with a hole in it. I figured since I was their I might as well use it. When I went inside I told Olga I just wanted to wash my hands and she found me a sink inside.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

  1. LOL .... a fancy camping trip!! well, now you know how my house works ;)
    i think i would feel right at home!

    oh what wonderful memories you are making!!

    LOVE to Tanya, Alina, Freda and David
    HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete